Friday, February 11, 2011

Italian Cheesecake

I have to first tell you the story of what possesed me to make this at 7:00 this morning...So, we just bought our new house in August. We have some really great neighbors. Karen, one of our neighbors, brought us over some super yummy brownies for Halloween. I had been over at their house and mentioned Jon being such a great cook and that he makes killer pumpkin pie. So, I figured for Thanksgiving, we'd be making them anyway, that we would make them one, too. Well, four burnt pies later, it didn't work out for Thanksgiving. We tried again for Christmas...No luck. I will blame it on Jon, though. He asked me to watch them. No way! I tend to multitask and if its not my project its liable to get ruined. (wait, what am I talking about. It'd probably happen if it was my project) I just need to get out of the habit of trying to do too many things at once. But, hey! In my defense, there are not enough hours in a day. So,here it is Valentine's Day on Monday and my cheesecakes turned out perfect!! Smooth and no cracks!
Here's the recipe for ya if you want to try it out. Let me know how it comes out!

1 lb. ricotta cheese,( room temperature)
2 pkg. cream cheese (8 oz. each) (room temp)
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 tsp. lemon juice & a couple shreds of lemon zest ( 3-4)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. flour
1 pt. sour cream


 
Blend ricotta and cream cheese well. Blend in sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla, lemon juice, cornstarch, flour and butter. Fold in sour cream and blend well.
Pour into a 10 inch buttered springform pan. (For the ones pictures – I just purchased 2 large premade graham cracker crusts from the grocery store) Pre heat to 325 degrees. Bake 1 hour. Do not open oven door. Turn off oven and leave in for another 2 hours without opening oven (no peeking). Take out and cool in refrigerator. You can leave it plain or add your favorite cheesecake toppings.
(click on the images to bring up the larger image - see how smooth? ok, I don't do this very often, that's why I'm so excited it turned out)

No comments:

Post a Comment